Winnipeg area residents need to be aware of the updated requirements for egress windows. This is especially important if you are looking to replace your basement windows as part of your home renovation process. Egress style windows are necessary in that they are a means of quick and safe escape for emergency situations.
If you are looking to replace your Winnipeg windows, you need to ensure that they meet the current fire codes. If you have an older home, this might entail expanding the opening of your current windows in order to be properly fitted with egress windows. We shall outline the requirements for egress windows in the following article.
Egress Windows Requirements
Below are the criteria for egress windows established by The National Building Code of Canada (NBCC):
Size Required for Egress Window
The regulations set forth by the NBCC, require egress window size to meet the following criteria:
- Egress windows must have an unobstructed opening with no less than 380 mm (15 in.) in dimension and 0.35 m2 (3.8ft2) in area.
- When you measure your windows, make sure to measure the window opening as well as the sills, sashes and window jambs.
Requirements for Egress Bedroom Windows
- Windows must allow for sufficient year-round ventilation
- Windows must provide 5% floor light to the room.
- Windows must be able to be opened from inside the home with no additional tools, keys, or other such hardware. They must not need to be opened with the need of additional instructions.
- Windows must be adequately sized as safe and easy escape route in the event of an emergency situation.
- Security bars must be able to be quickly and easily removed from the inside of the home and must not require the use of additional knowledge or tools
- Egress windows must not be higher than 1.5 from the bedroom floor
- Egress windows are not required if there is a home sprinkler system installed in the bedroom.
Check to make sure that your windows meet the building codes specific to the province in which your life. Casement and slider style egress windows most generally meet these requirements.
Requirements for Egress Basement Windows
- Basement window wells must be 760m from the window with an opening of 30 inches deep.
- Basement windows must have a step installed below to provide a quick escape in the event of an emergency.
If your basement windows do not meet these requirements, you may need to have a windows contractor cut into the structure to ensure that the basement egress windows adhere to these standards. This might require a permit so be sure to check with your municipality.
Contact your local windows company if you have any questions about installing egress windows in your Winnipeg area home. They will meet with you in the privacy of your home to discuss the requirements and provide you with a free estimate. Egress windows could save your life in an emergency so make sure that your home is up to code.