Mold on windows is not only unattractive to look at, it is also detrimental to your health. Mold can cause significant health issues for those who suffer from respiratory disorders such as asthma or COPD. It is important to remove it as soon as possible and to prevent it from recurring.
Following is a guide to remove and prevent mold on windows.
How to Remove Mold on Windows
You should wear protective clothing such as a long sleeved shirt, hairnet, gloves and safety goggles as well as a safety mask for your safety when removing window mold. Also make sure to keep your children and pets away from the area while you are cleaning.
- Place tape over the air vents and doorways to prevent airborne mold from spreading.
- Open windows for ventilation.
- Make a mixture of baking soda or dish detergent and warm water to clean the affected areas.
- Use a paper towel dipped in the above mixture to wipe away any visible mold. Dispose of used paper towels in a plastic bag.
- Use a plastic scraper on stubborn mold spots.
- Make a mixture of ⅓ to ½ cup bleach and one gallon water to disinfect the area to kill any remaining spores.
- Scrub the windows casings with this mixture.
- Allow to sit for 15 minutes before rinsing with clean water.
- Allow to dry completely. Using a window fan will help speed up the drying time.
- Discard any disposable products immediately in plastic.
- Wash clothes separately with bleach if possible.
- Disinfect any reusable cleaning products with diluted bleach and hot water.
Preventing Mold on Windows
1. Adequate Ventilation
Proper ventilation can prevent mold growth. Open windows whenever possible and use a dehumidifier or exhaust fan to remove excess moisture from the air This is crucial in areas such as kitchens or bathrooms which have more moisture.
2. Cleaning will Prevent Mold on Windows
Mold spores exist in many forms, including dust. Therefore, it is important to clean the previously infected area regularly. Dust and vacuum at least once a week and wash windows regularly with a baking soda and vinegar solution.
3. Eliminate Moisture in the Air
Prevent mold form reoccurring on your windows by keeping window casings and sills dry. To do so, dry the area with a towel whenever it rains or snows, or if you notice any moisture. Seal all leaks in your windows and keep your gutters cleaned to prevent rainwater from seeping into the windows.
Check areas such as ceiling tiles, heating ducts and underneath sinks for mold growth. If you notice mold, take the above steps to remove mold on windows or elsewhere as soon as possible to prevent health risks for you and your family.
Contact Weather Pro Windows and Doors if you have any further questions regarding how to treat and prevent mold on windows. We can assist you with any concerns you may have and also offer you advice on whether it is time for window replacement.
About Weather Pro – Windows and doors company in Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Calgary, Edmonton.
Weather Pro Windows & Doors has years of industry experience and our goal is to use our expertise to help each and every client that approaches us, whether a first time buyer or a long-time homeowner, to find the perfect windows and doors that meet all their needs. We specialize in Replacement Windows, Vinyl Windows, Entry Doors, Exterior Doors and Patio Doors. Weather Pro Windows and Doors proudly serves the Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina & Saskatoon areas. Follow us on Facebook!!