Mold, condensation and frost on windows is unsightly. However, all of these can be avoided with proper cleaning and prevention techniques. Mold is the most serious issue as it can cause health issues. The following article will give you a step by step guide on how to clean mold on windows.
How to Clean Mold From Windows For A Healthy Home
Keeping your windows Winnipeg clean and functional can help increase their longevity. Pay close attention the following tips on how to safely remove mold from the window in your home.
Removing Mold From Windows
- Protect your health by wearing protective gear such as a hairnet, gloves, safety goggles, a face mask and long pants and sleeves when cleaning black mold on windows.
- Make sure that both children and pets are kept away from the infected area.
- Tape up the doorways and vents to keep airborne mold particles from spreading throughout your home and open windows for ventilation.
- Prepare a mixture of warm water with baking soda or dish detergent.
- Using a cloth or paper towel, use the above mixture to clear away any mold that is visible to the eye. Place the used cloth or towel in a plastic bag for disposal.
- Using a plastic scraper, remove the stubborn areas of mold.
- Use a mixture of one-third to one-half cup of bleach and a gallon on water to disinfect and kill any remaining mold spores. Let it sit for up to 15 minutes before rinsing with clean water.
- Use a window fan to completely dry the area.
- Completely and immediately dispose of any used products.
- Wash clothes in bleach and hot water as soon as possible.
- Make sure any reusable cleaning implements are cleaned with hot water and diluted bleach.
How to Prevent Mold on Windows
- Provide Adequate Ventilation: Clean and healthy air helps to prevent mold growth. Whenever possible, open window in your home. As well, exhaust fans and dehumidifiers can also help to remove excessive moisture. Mold most often grows in kitchens and bathrooms as these rooms tend to generate a lot of moisture.
- Eliminate Moisture in The Air: Keeping your window sills and casings dry can help prevent mold growth. Clean these ares with a dry towel after it rains or snows. As well seal any leaks in your windows to prevent mold spores from forming.
- Regular Household Cleaning: Of course maintaining a clean and tidy house will ultimately prevent mold growth. Clean any previously infected areas regularly and vacuum and dust at least once a week. It is also a good idea to clean your windows regularly with a mixture of baking soda, vinegar and water to prevent mold.
If you need further advice on how to clean mold from windows, consult the experts at WeatherPro Windows and Doors. We can offer advice on the most effective and safest way to clean your windows. As well, we can help you decide when it is time for replacement windows. Call us today to get started.